Born1993-07-31 (28 years)
Works at AFRY
Title Urban Planner
Lives in Stockholm -Sweden
Studied at KTH, LTH & Politecnico di Milano.
Favorite Cities Stockholm, Milano & Baghdad
Hobbies drawing, meeting new people, playing video games, exploring new places, Volunteering in events.
Favorite Sport & Team Football & Juventus Football club
Favorite video game Crash Bandicoot
Favorite TED talk How to Sound smart in your TEDx talk by Will Stephen.
The Urban Planner
Mustafa Sherif, 28 years old, is an urban planner with a focus on people as the start point for city development. He believes strongly that planning smarter and more livable cities don’t need to be so complicated. Mustafa is currently working at AFRY in Sweden with master planning and community engagement processes with a focus on children/Child Friendly Cities.
In order to contribute to developing smarter and more livable cities for people he started his own international podcast Urbanistica. It is about the making of smarter and more livable cities for people. The podcast has listeners from 100+ countries.
Storytelling and communication is a big part of his passion. Mustafa is an active member of TEDxTalkStockholm team as a content researcher and a co-coach. This means that he together with the team are responsible to find potential speakers with ideas worth spreading on TEDx stage in Stockholm and also coaching speakers.
- Urban Planner. AFRY
- Executive Assistant. Arkus stiftelse och förening
- Host & Fonder. Urbanistica Podcast
- Community Manger. Hack for Earth Foundation
- Lecturer. KTH The Royal Institute of technology
- Urban Planner. Landskapslaget AB
- Urban Planner Internship. Sweco Architect
- Urban Planner Internship. Sweco Society
- PA Senior Architect . Heidenstamska Arkiektur och Byggnationer AB
- Teacher. Tycho Brahe Architecture High school
- Librarian. LTH Lund University
- Mathematics Tutor. LTH Lund University
- Master of Science. MS. Architecture and Urban Design. Politecnico di Milano Exchange
- Master’s degree. Master’s programme in Sustainable Urban Planning and Design. KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science. Civil Engineering in Architecture. The Faculty of Engineering at Lund University
- Civil Engineering 1 year – Road and Traffic Technology. The Faculty of Engineering at Lund University
- Architecture High School. Tycho Brahe Skolan
- Ambassador. Open House Architecture Festival Stockholm
- Board Member. City Planners Association Stockholm
- Co-Coach. TEDxTalk Stockholm
- Advocate. PlacemakingX
- Leader. Placemaking Europe Network
- Partners Team IFLA. Sveriges Arkitekter
- Ambassador. Hack for Earth Foundation
- Coach. Changers Hub
- Communications Team IFLA. Sveriges Arkitekter
- Head of Mentors. Open Hack
- Advocate. YSP Young Sustainability Professionals
- Operation Team. Erasmus Student Network
- Coach. Hack for Sweden
- Lecturer. Open-Innovators.org
- Agent. UN AGENDA 2020
- Guide. Framtidsverket Event
- Furniture maker. Woodhilstudios & graffiti Festival
- Student Representative. Lund University
- Painter. Helsingborg City Mural Art Project
- Student Representative. Tycho Brahe school
- Assistant. Fridays For Future International
- Marks Maker. WWF
- Receptionist. Gather Festival
- Guide. Open House Architecture Festival
- Painter. Stockholm City Mural painting
- Graphic Designer. Climate Festival: What is next?
- Workshop leader. Stockholm City Mural painting Project
- Stockholm Urban Sketchers
- YSP – Young Sustainability Professionals
- Häng med (i) samhällsplaneringen!
- Place Making Europe
- Tensta Art Gallery. Stockholm. Sweden
- UN (United Nations Association). Stockholm. Sweden
- c/o city
- Arkus Stiftelse och förening
- Sveriges Arkitekter
- Friday For Future
- Erasmus Student Network EU
Honors & Awards
- 2021 the ENABLER of the year Award by Swedish Architects Association/Sveriges Arkitekter
- 2020 Södertälje Hackathon Best Pitch about Smart Cities.
- 2018 UN Sustainable Development Goals 2030 Agent. Goal 11.
- 2107 Swedish News Agency (Nyhetsbyrå).
- 2016 Best Bachelor thesis project Award in Civil Engineering & Architecture.
- 2013 Winner of Technical Association Award for the best high school thesis.
What do the experts say about Mustafa Sherif ?
From Mesopotamia to Scandinavia
(The full story of Mustafa)
Mustafa was born in the heart of Mesopotamia Baghdad -Iraq 1993. He is the second child in a family of 6 members. His passion for cities and people started already when he was young in Baghdad -Iraq.
He was growing up in this tight and strong relationship with the street, public spaces, and people in Bagdad. For instance, He was getting hit by cars several times, meeting friends outdoors and sitting on the large stairs of buildings’ entrances, attending weddings/funerals in the streets, closing streets for community events, etc. Mustafa always wants to keep this relationship going on and make it more interesting. An urban planner was what he wanted to be, to create cities for people, to enhance the quality of peoples’ everyday life.
Mustafa went through very difficult times together with his family in Baghdad -Iraq because of the many terrorist attacks by Al-Qaeda and the invisible civil war in Iraq. To mention, he lost all his best friends in different terror attacks in Baghdad. That affected him a lot and made him appreciate the value of every single person he met in his life.
His father moved to Sweden as an asylum seeker, and then Mustafa followed him together with the other family members. He and his family got permission from the Swedish government to stay in Sweden. They stayed in Helsingborg City in the south of Sweden.
Helsingborg took a big part of Mustafa’s heart and played a big role in the development of his mindset as a young teenager.
His formal “urban planning for people” journey started in 2013 by studying Architecture already in a high school in Helsingborg, Sweden. Mustafa got his Bachelor’s Degree in Civil engineering and architecture from LTH Lund University. The next destination was the Master’s program in Sustainable Urban Planning and Design at The Royal Institute of Technology KTH in Stockholm. He did 7 months of Exchange program in Politecnico di Milano in Italy to study Architecture and Urban Planning.
In Milano, he developed his mindset and skills in architecture, urban planning, and design. He was traveling to different cities in Italy and in Europe on his own time and budget to explore the cities from a cultural, urban planning, and design point of view.
Now he is working as an urban planner in Stockholm at AFRY Landscape Architecture and Planning studio with a focus on the social aspect e.g. meeting people listening to their stories and co-create the values in a city, building long-term relationships with various types of clients. Most of his projects are dialogues with people, placemaking, master planning, developing methods and strategies to convert “cities for cars” to “cities for people”.
Mustafa loves seeing people active, happy, and full of inspiration, that is why he is doing many many activities after work e.g. He is part of TEDxTalk Stockholm as a speaker Co-coach and content researcher.
He also started his own podcast nov 2019. Urbanistica Podcast is here to inspire everyone about The making of smarter and more livable cities for people.